NMEA (was: a few Android apps I use)

Bob L is our NMEA wizard. Like Dan, he set up the AIS receiver in Wave Guide the hard way and, IIRC, has a bunch of other stuff hooked up together using NMEA. But he's using an old laptop or netbook for navigation...

NMEA is far from dead, but I went the easy way when I put an AIS receiver in Lazy Jack. This one is its own wireless network hub, so I didn't need to figure out how -- or if -- I could hook the Samsung tablet up with wires:

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0784SV824/themotherofal-20

Dan's solution may require getting the NMEA signal into a wireless network gizmo somehow. USB to wireless adapters are cheap, but I have no idea how to get NMEA signals into and out of one. Bob?!

On 4/30/2022 7:50 AM, Dan wrote:
And, from the dark side of, yet a different, moon…Somewhat contrary to John’s guidance, I bought a used AIS receiver/antenna splitter on eBay, and it came from Denmark, I believe it was.  Turns out, the machine came with no directions, and it’s from the NEMA era.  Anyhow.  With the square, 4-pin ‘USB’ terminals, I had to get a batch of conversion connector thingies.  So, now I’ve got an AIS receiver that purportedly will output through a couple different cords (Male/male and female/female connections) to a little Wi-Fi fob thingie on the end of a burgeoning coil of wires.  So far, mebbee…
My hope, and shibboleth perhaps, is that once I get within gamming range of somebody with the proper knowledge base, they can show me how to make the Samsung tablet I got from John/Mary a while back to get it to do the AIS dance on the Navionics screen…T ’would be wunnerful.  At the moment, the whole fandango is installed and has a power light showing green when I fire up the vhf…And, then, the music dies…dan
The ocean is an object of no small terror. (Edmund Burke)