Re: [MessaboutW] Yaquina Messabout Spots

Bryn-

Have you read the account that was published in Small Boat Journal by the
young fellow who rowed single-handed up the inside passage in a Swampscott
dory? On another occasion he and his girlfriend circumnavigated Vancouver
Island in the same boat, and he also wrote about that trip for SBJ. I'll
rummage around and see if I can find those issues.

Somewhere recently I heard about this book:

DeArmond, Robert N. A Voyage in a Dory : From Sitka to Tacoma by Oars, Sail
and Tow Rope (Sitka : Arrowhead Press, 1999) 88 pp., paper, $13.95 +
postage, ISBN 1929292007, available from Hearthside Books, 8745 Glacier
Hwy, Juneau AK 99801, 1-800-478-1000. The Southeast Alaska historian
describes his 1931 adventure.

Per: http://www.library.state.ak.us/hist/somebooks/some99.html

Sounds like a good read. Then of course there's Row to Alaska by WInd and
Oar, or something like that, about a mature couple who row and sail a dory
to Alaska. You see it advertised in the back of MAIB. I've got it around
here somewhere...

You'll notice that the old-time sailing and rowing boats had a rig that was
easy to take down if they were going to be rowed when there was wind. Often
they'd strike the rig and row upwind rather than tacking under sail. They
wouldn't try that with the rig up!

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:53:32 -0700, you wrote:
I do have visions of doing the Inside Passage with only a two-person Dory
and no sailing rig. I am fairly clueless when it comes to rowing with a
sailing rig.
http://www.boat-links.com/
"Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
"Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
<Alfred North Whitehead>