John - agreed. Both engines were working fine. It was a political decision. The brass figured people would wonder why they were decommissioning a boat that could make it all the way to Ilwaco under it's own power so they had the boats towed.

It’s just plain sad how it all transpired. There was supposed to be a decommissioning ceremony but it never happened.

It is what it is.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
TOWED to Ilwaco! She should have made her final voyage under her own
power, and been greeted on arrival by dignitaries, a band, and lots of
fanfare. <sigh>

There aren't any replacements for the 52-footers.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Video
Date:   Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:16:53 -0800
From:   Joe Novello <joenovello3@...>
To:     Retired Old Guy Sailing Club
<retired-old-guy-sailing-club@...>

HI All,

   Just a few weeks ago, the US Coast Guard entered the final stages of
decommissioning it's entire fleet of  52 foot motor lifeboats. The
Victory, The Intrepid and The Invincible were towed to Ilwaco Washington
to be pulled out of the water for the last time and removed from service.

Tom McAdams was moved by this decision and the event that lead up to the
Victory being shamed by being towed to Ilwaco, even though both engines
work, for decommissioning.  He told me he wanted to publish his thoughts
about it.  So I came up with the video described below. It has been
viewed over 850 times since it was posted 14 hours ago. I thought you
might be interested.

Retired Master Chief Thomas McAdams reflects on his experiences aboard
these magnificent boats as expressed in a poem he wrote inspired by
their decommissioning.

https://youtu.be/aJCZLibapXw

I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is
evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however,
the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be. (Isaac Asimov)

Joe Novello