Re: hand crank outboard

Andrew Linn

There's a reason outboards are so powerful and use so much gas

On 4/15/2021 11:38 AM, Jove Lachman-Curl wrote:
Thanks John,
I've always been intrigued with the idea of sculling, I've seen videos of people moving 35 ft sailboats with a 14' oar at around 1.5 knots. Great for getting in and out of the dock, or as a backup.
and I'm sure very effective on a small trailer sailor. I use greenland style kayak paddles I made and I like to scull myself sideways. It's very effective.
I like that device for attaching to an oar. it's a good idea. basically it makes a yuloh from an oar. I might try something like that.

Sculling side draw kayak:
https://youtu.be/WJt_8GxmHu0?t=49 <https://youtu.be/WJt_8GxmHu0?t=49>
Thanks for the tips.
-Jove

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 8:18 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com <mailto:jkohnen@boat-links.com>> wrote:

Andrew tried a crank outboard out at a Depoe bay show, they're not
a new
idea. It didn't look like it worked very well. But maybe that was
just
because of the operator. <g> Mighta worked better if the propeller
shaft
was closer to horizontal...

https://flic.kr/p/cjiwP9 <https://flic.kr/p/cjiwP9>

https://flic.kr/p/cjix9S <https://flic.kr/p/cjix9S>