Re: hand crank outboard

Jove Lachman-Curl

Thanks John,
I've always been intrigued with the idea of sculling, I've seen videos of people moving 35 ft sailboats with a 14' oar at around 1.5 knots. Great for getting in and out of the dock, or as a backup.
and I'm sure very effective on a small trailer sailor. I use greenland style kayak paddles I made and I like to scull myself sideways. It's very effective.
I like that device for attaching to an oar. it's a good idea. basically it makes a yuloh from an oar. I might try something like that.

Sculling side draw kayak:
-Jove

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 8:18 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Andrew tried a crank outboard out at a Depoe bay show, they're not a new
idea. It didn't look like it worked very well. But maybe that was just
because of the operator. <g> Mighta worked better if the propeller shaft
was closer to horizontal...

https://flic.kr/p/cjiwP9

https://flic.kr/p/cjix9S

Except for the storage problem, I think a sculling oar would work better
for a fairly heavy boat. Duckworks sells carbon fiber ferrules to make
two-piece oars:

https://duckworks.com/pair-of-carbon-fiber-ferrules-for-oars/

They also sell the Scullmatix. "a simple device to make sculling a boat
almost automatic." I think Jim Ballou bought one, but I never tried
it... You make your oar two-piece to use it with a Scullmatix, so it may
kill two birds with one stone:

https://duckworks.com/scullmatix/

On 4/14/2021 11:47 AM, Jove wrote:
> Has anyone tried one of these?
> https://www.axamarine.com/hand-propeller-outboard

> There are cheaper ones on amazon.

> <https://www.amazon.com/BRIS-OPERATED-PROPELLERS-INFLATABLE-OUTBOARD/dp/B01HLSLJU8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hand+crank+outboard+motor&qid=1618425913&s=books&sr=1-1>

> Seems like a great solution for a small sailboat like my windrose 18,
> But I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this concept.
As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first. (Joshua Slocum)