Re: hand crank outboard

Andrew tried a crank outboard out at a Depoe bay show, they're not a new idea. It didn't look like it worked very well. But maybe that was just because of the operator. <g> Mighta worked better if the propeller shaft was closer to horizontal...

https://flic.kr/p/cjiwP9

https://flic.kr/p/cjix9S

Except for the storage problem, I think a sculling oar would work better for a fairly heavy boat. Duckworks sells carbon fiber ferrules to make two-piece oars:

https://duckworks.com/pair-of-carbon-fiber-ferrules-for-oars/

They also sell the Scullmatix. "a simple device to make sculling a boat almost automatic." I think Jim Ballou bought one, but I never tried it... You make your oar two-piece to use it with a Scullmatix, so it may kill two birds with one stone:

https://duckworks.com/scullmatix/

On 4/14/2021 11:47 AM, Jove wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these?
https://www.axamarine.com/hand-propeller-outboard
There are cheaper ones on amazon.
<https://www.amazon.com/BRIS-OPERATED-PROPELLERS-INFLATABLE-OUTBOARD/dp/B01HLSLJU8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hand+crank+outboard+motor&qid=1618425913&s=books&sr=1-1>
Seems like a great solution for a small sailboat like my windrose 18, But I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this concept.
As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first. (Joshua Slocum)