Re: Update Observations to this ---- Re: Good Girl Gets a Motor (was: Correcting my EARLIER Instrument Notes on EV Power)

Thanks, Myles, that's good to know. Makes me think that the single panel I've got might do the job, but I'll make the mount for it so I can easily add another.

3 hp. Minn Kota? That must have been a huge motor! 24 volt? I've got an 80 lb, thrust motor on Tuffy, half of what Cal's got on Surprise. Minn Kota says it's supposed to draw 56 amps, max, but I usually only use a small fraction of that.

On 4/13/2021 10:57 AM, Myles S wrote:
John - I had a single battery amidship and a 10 x 18 solar panel mounted facing straight up on the taffrail of my Micro. In 4 years at Dorena and then on South Ten Mile Lake for 3 years I never had to charge the battery. I would say your estimate of an hour a day for sailboat use is about right whether coming in after the wind died in Dorena or motorsailing upwind to the marina on Ten Mile. That was before solar cells got better and cheaper and before PWM controllers. The motor was a Minnkota 3HP which had a larger, flatter, prop than you find today.
The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run. (John Barrymore)