Re: Update Observations to this ---- Re: Good Girl Gets a Motor (was: Correcting my EARLIER Instrument Notes on EV Power)

MylesJ Swift

John - I had a single battery amidship and a 10 x 18 solar panel mounted facing straight up on the taffrail of my Micro. In 4 years at Dorena and then on South Ten Mile Lake for 3 years I never had to charge the battery. I would say your estimate of an hour a day for sailboat use is about right whether coming in after the wind died in Dorena or motorsailing upwind to the marina on Ten Mile. That was before solar cells got better and cheaper and before PWM controllers. The motor was a Minnkota 3HP which had a larger, flatter, prop than you find today.