Re: Looks like solar cells are better !!

Teresa Pittman

I was sent this link from a Twitter discussion on solar. They are using lithium batteries for their sailboat.

https://youtu.be/AMAbI8p9mkY

“Throw out the radio and take the fiddle down from the wall.”
— Andrew Nelson Lytle, Tennessee, 1930

On Mar 17, 2021, at 2:34 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

10 amps @ 24 volts = 240 watts. Doesn't add up...

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B08X452VFM/themotherofal-20

Joe Grez did the Salish 100 under solar power with an array about so big:

https://flic.kr/p/2gB9w6t

IIRC, he said he could do two knots, when the sun cooperated, with the input from the soar array equaling the output to the motor. An EP Carry:

https://www.electricpaddle.com/

If we have a Salish 100 this year, he'll be doing it again in something a little bigger (based on a C-Lark hull), with room for more solar panels. See attachments.

On 3/16/2021 6:44 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
With the newer solar panels on Amazon, I see 10 amp at 24 volt in a size that fits Surprises aft deck.  In fact 2 panels ( 21 by 41 in. ) will fit easy and still open as designed for access.  My cruise speed uses about 10 amp on the battery, so two panels ought to do, even on slightly cloudy days.  With my two 24 volt batt. packs, that could equate to running as long as I could stand to sit and cruise.  The panel cost is now down to $ 70. 00  each -- which is just about what a battery costs at bi Mart.  With my heavier duty fork lift # 27 size, that's about enough to fill in the gap even better, for safety's sake on the water.
Science has never drummed up quite as effective a tranquilizing agent as a sunny spring day. (W. Earl Hall)

<GrezElectricC-Lark-1.png>
<GrezElectricC-Lark-2.jpg>