Re: Victory

They named a building at the North Bend air station for Tom McAdams. They should name a lifeboat station, or maybe the Cape D coxswain school, after him:

https://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2012/07/the-champion-lifesaver-of-the-pacific-coast/

The last time he mentioned it, Toledo Joe said the book should be ready for publication this summer. I'm sure it'll be an entertaining book, but the way Tom McAdams tells a story in person probably won't translate well to the written page. He's stopped by the campfire at the Toledo Wooden Boat Show a few times, and we really enjoy his story telling. He can pull you into a story until you're on the edge of your seat, and then spring the punch line. :o) A master of the craft. Here's a bit of "oral history":

https://www.44mlb.com/crew-talk/tom-mc-adams-interview-page-1.html

On 2/6/2021 9:07 AM, Brandon F wrote:
I'll buy that book about Tom. He moored his boat a few slips down from Oceanus when we were rebuilding her in Newport. He is a great guy. He helped a lot with figuring things out. He offered to swing my compass, but I didn't take him up on it. I regret not taking him up on it. It would be something to tell my grandkids about. He is a great story teller and his stories have the added benefit of being true. Virginia and I ate a lot of black rockfish and ling that Tom caught. He loved fishing, but his wife would not cook what he caught. We were often the bene-fish-iaries. He has a CG airstation named after him. Right John?
I like these cold, gray winter days. Days like these let you savor a bad mood. (Bill Watterson)