Re: Victory

Roger Padvorac

I'm ignoring most email for the time being, but wondered at the size and subject of this one.

Previously I hadn't paid attention to the difference between the 52' and 47' boats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47-foot_Motor_Lifeboat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52-foot_Motor_Lifeboat

In short, the 47' boat is a wimp compared to the 52' boat.

You are right, they are amazing - the pictures in those Wikipedia articles says it all.

I'd be very surprised if this country builds a useful replacement for the 52' boats. The navy has a pretty poor track record for the last decade.

Every day I take a look at RT.com because its a reliable source of bad news that will affect my life (like efforts to cut Social Security). There are a surprising number of WA/OR articles there. I also read some of the compare and contrast opinion essays there.

Our culture has lost the competence of the mid 20th century - too many people stopped doing the hard thankless work of cultural stewardship and we've lost a lot of our cultural capital.

* * * *
The 47' boats started coming into service in 1997, and there are 227 of them, so they will be around for a while.

You say the 52' boats are saved for the really difficult situations.

How often do the 47' boats turn out to be inadequate, and a 52' boat is used, and in what kinds of circumstances?

I've survived my adventures by paying attention to the fallback options, which is why I put some thought into this subject, once I took a look at it.

* * * *
After I thought a bit, I wondered, what do you mean by old?

Engines and steering gear can be rebuilt or replaced, and on a boat like this there isn't much else that is essential, expensive, and takes a lot of work to maintain.

Why don't they just replace the engines and steering gear?

Sincerely,
Roger

Quoting John Kohnen <jkohnen@...>:

Victory's my favorite CG boat too, with the other steel 52-footers close behind. But they're Old. It's getting so it's hard to keep them going, so Victory sits idle, waiting to be used only when her capabilities are _really_ needed. I'll miss the 52s when they're gone, but their replacements should have been ready years ago. <sigh> I hope when the replacements for the 52-footers are finally developed and built that they perform as well in the really awful stuff as Victory, but I'll bet they won't have as much class as she has.

On 2/1/2021 1:25 PM, Case wrote:
My favorite CG boat ever. Pretty amazing boat.

I got to go for a short cruise on her across the bay once.

https://newportnewstimes.com/article/victory-the-queen-of-the-fleet
Laws are like cobwebs which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through. (Jonathan Swift)