Re: Sam McKinney's boat "Gander"

Richard Green

That’s the Great Pelican stretched to 20’….IIRC…..that Sam used to come to Astoria aboard in an early time.  The next year I talked to him in Astoria he had ditched the Seagull outboard and had a Honda, if memory serves.  The cabin had nothing in it but a mattress and a chair…..that I noticed.   It might have had camp stove and such but I don’t recall.  Someone in a group or some group in Portland (this was nearly forty years ago so….) had built the strongback for a stretch Great Pelican.

I hope to enclose, bandwidth and storage notwithstanding, a photo of my power adaptation of a Great Pelican hull.

Rich

On Dec 28, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Ken Preston <kenpreston46@...> wrote:

Goodness, that looks a lot like a Great Pelican with a substantially bigger cabin and an Outer Banks (North Carolina) sort of pilothouse.  I'm presently on track to start a Michalak AF4B (sort of--no plans, so I made a little model to the dimensions).  Gander is a MUCH bigger boat, but really interesting.  H'mm.  The car has been out of the shop since Christmas, so there's room now, time to stop dithering and go buy some wood.
Thanks very much for all the help!
Ken