Re: Fires and such

Roger Padvorac

John,
Have you given this link a try?
https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/44.1547/-120.4189/7

The satellite fire detection works day and night, regardless of weather, and the official boundaries ALWAYS lag behind the actual fire.

The page above includes the last known boundary. The density and placement of the red dots provides some indication of the fire behavior.
- An intermittent row of red dots indicates a slow spread.
- A solid row of red dots, some distance past the boundary, indicates a fast spread.
- The width of the areas of orange and yellow dots also provide an indication of the speed of the fire.
- Occasional spot fires way out past the edge of the fire indicates a strong updraft carrying burning debris out past the main fire, and is a bad sign.
- Looking at the terrain helps because fires will spread uphill much faster than they will spread downhill.
- Rivers and highways are much better firebreaks than hand dug trails, and so depending on the wind, have a fair chance of blocking the spread of fire.

The above info, plus the current weather forecast, can be used to fairly accurately estimate the current edge of the fire.

Watching a fire by satellite is a bit like a traumatizing horror movie. People are traumatized when they feel hopeless and helpless and feel overwhelmed. I still do it because I feel its better to know than to let my imagination run wild. Since I have a very talented imagination, I keep watching the fires by satellite.

Sincerely,
Roger

Quoting John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com>:

The Riverside Fire near Molalla is burning close to Kay Patteson's place, and also not far from Joe Nelson's, to the east. <sigh> I expect Kay is sheltering with Chad and the grandkids in Portland.

https://arcg.is/1XPnX40

The last address I have for Quinn Wells is within the boundary of the Echo Mountain Fire near Lincoln City. :o( At least he's only renting a trailer, but may not have any insurance. <sigh>

The boundaries for the fires to the east, anyway, weren't updated today because the plane with infrared cameras couldn't take of this morning because of the fog and smoke...

You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad. (Adlai Stevenson)