Re: Fires and such

Stephen Miller

Thanks John and Josh.  He just got back from 2 weeks fighting fires in California too.  Its a scary time for many people.

Steve

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:46 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
I'm glad your son got out OK, Steve. I heard something on the radio
yesterday about people waiting in a sports field somewhere for rescue by
helicopter. I guess it was your son and the other firefighters.

Seeing that Blue River burned really brought home the destruction of
these wildfires. This wasn't some distant place that was only a dot on a
map. Blue River was always there, though I rarely went through it
anymore since They put in the highway bypass. The Cougar Room. Those
cabins on the west side of town where the druggies lived -- Rock-a-Bye
Cottages? They were full of "respectable" pot smoking and acid dropping
hippies in the Old Days. <g> I guess those were gone already. The Cougar
Room burned and the Cottages were torn down as nuisances. Memories of a
misspent youth... Authorities are warning us to "expect deaths" in the
Blue River area. <sigh>

Coots Kay Patteson and Joe Nelson live in the woods near Colton. I heard
there's been an evacuation order for some of that area. I tried to call
Kay a few minutes ago and got no answer. I hope she's OK and that her
property will be spared. Joe lives a few miles east of Kay.

On 9/9/2020 6:11 AM, Steve M wrote:
> My son in law was one of the Eugene firemen trapped yesterday up by Blue
> River surrounded by the fire.  Pretty scary day.  They had no radio
> since the towers had burned.  And too windy to fly helicopters in to
> them.  My daughter got a call from a department Captain.   The call she
> dreads.  She was sure he was dead.  All of them are now safe.  Other
> crews had to clear 25 miles of down trees, burned trees and power lines
> to get the firemen and sheriff deputies out.
>
> He said they saved the school and a few houses but everything else is
> gone in Blue River.  Please send any extra prayers to the firemen and
> folks who have lost so much.
>
> Steve Miller

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink
what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. (Mark Twain)