Re: This Saturday: Sauvie's Island Circumnavigation Planning Meeting

Richard Green

That looks like Willow Bar. The beauty of that place is it’s about mid island and going either way just worked really well. That whole area upstream on the river side was at one time an island…as I understand…and they (the corps) closed off the upstream opening and it has sanded and silted in to what you see on the chart. My understanding is PYC did some dredging in there back when they bought it but the chart looks about like I remember it. Just past the docks that were there was the houseboat of the caretakers and then very shoal.

I don’t know if the docks are open, it’s a destination for their members, I’d guess not but certainly worth a call to the Portland Yacht Club to ask. I lost track of what goes on there decades ago.

Rich

On Sep 4, 2020, at 2:29 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

I answered my own question: "Just 12 miles downstream from the clubhouse and moorage and inside a bay on the east side of beautiful Sauvie Island, +45° 44' 59", -122° 46' 17", lies the club’s member-only Willow Bar Outstation."

I hate it when boating facilities open to the public get turned into "gated communities". <sigh>

The latter part of a wise man's life is taken up in curing the follies, prejudices, and false opinions he had contracted in the former. (Jonathan Swift)