Re: Electric Love

Richard Green

Only two days ago had the hybrid battery replaced in my daughter’s ’05 prius she inherited from her grandfather a few months ago. It had few miles on it as it had sat for years with minimal usage, no charging save the odd time out. The batteries didn’t like that and eventually and apparently gave up the ghost. 2300 bucks installed at the Toyota dealer. Her step bro said he could replace bad cells for about 40 bucks a cell but in asking around and in my own experience I felt that wasn’t a good idea. Seen boat bank batteries in which a new battery interacted badly with old batteries resulting in premature failures.

Had the twelve volt replaced around a year ago during probate and I’m thinking it was only in the 200 and change range at the local dealer. Don’t quote me on that quote for the 12v.

Rich

On Aug 12, 2020, at 1:15 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

So you're a fellow Prius driver, John! :o)

Toyota's got everybody convinced that the Prius computer is real picky about what sort of 12 volt battery it likes. <sigh> To keep us from putting just _any_ battery in our Prii, batteries in American cars have _Japanese_ standard terminals, and Japanese cars have _American_ standard terminals! But $450 to replace your Prius battery was highway robbery! My Prius's (2006) battery died a while back, and I got a fancy-dan Optima battery, better than the stock Toyota battery, for $237.99 through Amazon. It's a bit of a hassle to get to the Prius battery, but not enough so to justify what your dealer charged you. <sigh>

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006VFEJJQ/themotherofal-20

On 8/11/2020 9:17 PM, John Weiss wrote:
The Prius battery may be a bargain. IIRC, I had to pay the Toyota dealer $425 for a replacement AGM!
The replacement battery they sell for Prii may be something to look at. >40 A/H (and the rate at a more aggressive discharge than the usual lead/acid rating) and a built in BMS, for $349 each.
"Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb. "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth. (Alfred North Whitehead)