Here is a video, close hauled with just the main, after I put the jib up I was too busy riding the rail to take videos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fpJKZzt3Pfw8GHCp7

image.png

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:09 PM Myles Twete <matwete@...> wrote:
I'm sure the chronicles of the Reach Of Tide followed several voyages by Sam, but for the most part, it was all with his small boat "Gander".  His West-coast to East-coast trip included that Gander (up to Lewiston), then for maybe 100 miles on the Missouri in a dory (until it got stuck in the mud), then the rest of the way with a 24ft bargeboat he built to NYC.  Sam sold the barge boat after arriving to NYC on that trip and shipped the motor home.
The motor from that boat went on the 26' scow cruiser Reach Of Tide that he began building soon after coming home from his trip (he always had to be writing a new book and building a new boat).  Sam's wife Gail may have given the boat the name (she certainly painted the name on the back) originally.  I still run the Reach Of Tide with the same outboard (minus the gas motor) and it's been electric now since 2003 (time flies).  This Spring and last, I did a circumnavigation day trip of Sauvies Island all on electric (no genset).  I might be able to join any day- or even down-river journeys this Fall.

-Myles

-----Original Message-----
From: oregoncoots@groups.io [mailto:oregoncoots@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Kohnen
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 2:31 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Lower Columbia River info

I'm pretty sure Reach if Tide was the result of several voyages, blended together in the book. I'm not so sure about multiple boats for that book, but Myles's Reach of Tide wasn't involved. IIRC, she was built with money from the book sales.

On 7/27/2020 11:09 AM, Mark N wrote:
>     You do know that Sam McKinney took several years and more than one boat
>     to do what he wrote about in Reach of Tide? ;o)
>

> I know he took three boats and a few years to complete his "Sailing
> Uphill" journey to the east coast.  But I just finished re-reading
> "Reach of Tide" and it felt like one boat, one trip.  Maybe I gotta
> stop reading in bed.  :-) ...
Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind closed doors. (Lewis H. Lapham)