From: oregoncoots@groups.io [mailto:oregoncoots@groups.io] On Behalf Of John
Kohnen
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 12:38 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Wooden boat for sale (in Norway)

Nice boat. A snekke! :o) Gotta love those double-enders. <g> Though I tend
to favor the smaller ones:

https://www.woodenboat.com/snekke

https://flic.kr/p/dHZHnc

Unpainted boat bottoms? Must be too cold for shipworms, barnacles, and other
fouling. I'll bet they use a mixture of oil and pine tar on 'em, like they
use on the topsides of a lot of Scandinavian boats.

BTW, a literal translation of "snekke" is "worm". There must be something
lost in translation, as they say...

On 6/22/2020 6:28 PM, Myles T wrote:
https://www.finn.no/boat/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=145179643&fbclid=IwA
R1Ikmsphu1uYRoExtoQrqcVgg8Tx1dXJ2T7wniAQC9Inl1XIyul7SrLG-E

A 3^rd cousin of mine owned/refurbished and may have originally built
this wooden cruising boat that's now for sale in Stavanger, Norway.

His widow is selling the boat---cancer sucks. L

Interesting how in Norway it's common to have the boat bottoms
unpainted (probably varnished?) while topsides are often painted.

We even saw very large metal fishing boats with at least wooden
cladding up front and underwater.

I'm not sure why.
Next to power without honor, the most dangerous thing in the world is power
without humor. (Eric Sevareid)