Re: kayak sail rig

Gerard Mittelstaedt

Had a good look at the Bat wing, Rushton sail  The upper "yard" sits close to the mast
making the sail rig something like a Gunter rig.  This is good in that it keeps the spars
including the mast low.
- Gerard Mittelstaedt

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 3:29 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Nylon is too stretchy for an upwind sail. Polytarp works good. Polysail
Dave has done a lot of experimentation with them and has got them
figured out. Search for "polytarp sail", "Polysail" and "Dave Grey" in
the Duckworks Magazine archive:

https://duckworksmagazine.com/

http://polysail.com/

More from COD:

http://thecheappages.com/oddsails.html

Jim Michalak's perennial article on "sail area math" a good one, and his
method of balancing the rig should work fine for a kayak:

http://www.jimsboats.com/1jan20.htm

Tyvek house wrap has also been used for sails. The main problem for
Coots, and other small boat sailors, is that they sell it in Big rolls
at Jerry's. You might be able to bum enough for several kayak sails from
a building site...

http://boat-links.com/Tyvek/

On 6/10/2020 11:54 PM, Jove wrote:
> Yes, not very cootish, and I was hoping to build it myself from scrap
> and a little sail cloth or that ripstop nylon they sell at Joanne’s in
> nice colors.

People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that
kicks them. (Eric Hoffer)

Gerard Mittelstaedt  -- mittel48@...
McAllen, Texas
USA