Re: Oar Creep?

Electri-Cal

I like my oars to overlap by 6 in., especially in narrow boats.  But then I do row nor'east coast style.  Try crossing your legs opposite the oar arms crossing way, that evens the power level, then a foot board at full leg length.  On each stroke my butt raises off the seat by 3 in., then settles at strokes end.  If i don't get that lift, the blades are too small, or the length too short.  When correct, I could maintain a comfy gps 3 -4 mph in my earlier 16 ft lapstrake across Fern ridge, on a great sunny morning, about like a 3 hp outboard.

Row like a dory fisherman 5 miles off Dover, with a catch to deliver, you'll love it.  You'll have to try the latest oars, soon as I can let go the electric fun stuff, bigger boat with locks further aft, no idea on that setup yet.

Best wishes,  Cal

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:15 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Making your own "Bolger" oarlocks in the Boathouse foundry sounds like a
fun project! :o)

Duckworks sells bronze oarlocks with the forward horn and pin in line.
They're designed to use D-shaped collars for "automatic" feathering and
preset pitch. Not cheap:

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/rs-do.htm

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/dur-martinoli-parent.htm

A review:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ybxtwexa

or

https://s3.amazonaws.com/duckbbs/hardware/oarlocks/douglas/Ash+Breeze+Article+11-05.pdf

On 5/17/2020 5:04 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
> My sockets are slightly out of perpendicular, maybe 12 degrees.  I like
> the idea of the pin in line with the forward horn.  I now have food for
> thought and more directions to play.  Maybe we can forge some of our own
> oarlocks with the design described by Bolger with our new foundry.

Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily.
(George Santayana)

Thanks, I will reply to all mail as possible ---  Cal