Re: Oar Creep?

What are you using for "leathers" on the oars? I've noticed that soft leathering seems more prone to creeping. I haven't tried them, but supposedly oarlocks with the forward horn in line with the pin eliminate most oar creep. (I guess I did try them once, on Bob M's Whilly Boat, but it was a brief outing, so I can't give a good review -- the boat rowed like a dream, and I don't recall an oar walking problem) Having the oarlock sockets perpendicular to the water, not parallel to the flared sides, also helps. Of course Bolger had something to say about oarlocks. See attachments. IIRC, he also had a plan for some el cheapo home fabricated oarlocks with the pin in line with the horn -- one and the same, in fact, in one of his books...

On 5/17/2020 2:21 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
Hi Guys,
I'm hoping to garner information from your collective knowledge.  I built some new oars for my elegant punt recently. Today I tried them out and as I was rowing they repeatedly crept up in the oarlocks about six inches, then settled there. The trouble is they then overlapped about 4 inches at the handles and I had to use the cross oars rowing technique.
Do any of you know why that might be happening?  I'm suspecting length or balance may be incorrect. The beam of the boat is 42 inches, the oars are 6 1/2'.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. (Clarence Darrow)