Oar Creep?

Joe Novello

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to garner information from your collective knowledge.  I built some new oars for my elegant punt recently. Today I tried them out and as I was rowing they repeatedly crept up in the oarlocks about six inches, then settled there. The trouble is they then overlapped about 4 inches at the handles and I had to use the cross oars rowing technique.

Do any of you know why that might be happening?  I'm suspecting length or balance may be incorrect. The beam of the boat is 42 inches, the oars are 6 1/2'.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Joe