Re: Coast-to-coast canoe paddle

Outdoor writer John Edwin Hogg did a West to East trip across the continent in an outboard motorboat, Transco, in 1925. In 1959 he did it East to West in Transco II, and wrote a book about it -- that you can read for free:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yaehlxhh

or

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x004108348&view=1up&seq=17

I'm sensing a theme, about the sanity of these voyagers. ;o)

"It seemed probable that almost anyone to whom I talked about my plan would doubt my sanity. Indeed, what man in his right mind would even think about starting such a project at the age of sixty-seven after having endured the hardships and hazards of a similar expedition at the age of thirty-four?"

His wife had this to say:

"'I admire your spirit, your fortitude, and your courage ... but I deplore your judgement! ... If you feel that you must do it, I'd suggest keeping all the insurance you now have. Then I'll call our insurance agent and have him write a new policy on your head ... against woodpeckers!'"

I haven't yet been able to find Hogg's account of his first transcontinental voyage, which was published in MoToR BoatinG. The "Transco" designed by C. D. Mower, and whose plans are in the MoTor BoatinG Ideal Series, nos. 9, 10, and 22, was inspired by Hogg's Transco, and gives an idea of what sort of boat she was. I should scan the plans, because Mower's Transco would make a good, relatively low-powered (two 1925 outboards -- 4 hp. each?) boat for use today:

"Transcontinental which is being enjoyed by the
readers of MoToR BoatinG has aroused a considerable interest in outboard motor boats and many requests have been received for a design of a boat similar to the one in which Mr. Hogg and his companions made their voyage across the continent.

"By good fortune, Transcontinental occupied a berth in the Motor Boat Show where she could be seen from every angle and the writer spent a considerable amount of time studying her lines and taking her in generally. She was not dolled up for the Show and at first glance she gave the impression of a rather dirty and more or less disreputable little craft that was a cross between a row boat and a motor
boat. A more careful inspection, however, showed her to be a boat of unusually nice lines and of an
easily driven form with a fine forebody and a very clean run aft. The construction in general,
and the planking in particular, gave evidence that she was built by an expert in the art of boat
building and except for a crude emergency repair job on her stern transom which was made after
she was so nearly wrecked in the Columbia River, the hull was in almost as good condition structurally as it was the day she left her builder's hands.

"The design given herewith is not an exact reproduction of Transcontinental but is a boat of almost identically the same dimensions of length, breadth, depth, free-board and of the same general arrangement of interior. The extreme over all length is eighteen feet and the extreme breadth five feet. The stern of Transcontinental impressed the writer as being almost too fine at the water line and of insufficient buoyancy for a boat carrying two outboard motors on her stern and the new design shows a wider and flatter stern to prevent her settling when under way. This change of lines is also due in a measure to having seen a photograph of Trans-continental taken off the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor, which shows about six feet of her bow clear of the water like a hydroplane before getting over the hump and settling down to her planing trim."

Of course Sam McKinney did a West to East trip, taking several years and several boats, and wrote it up in Sailing Uphill:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9e864wn

or

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&kn=&an=&tn=Sailing+Uphill&isbn=

On 4/30/2020 5:25 PM, Rich G wrote:
Seems like this strip is a bit of a reverse trip similar to Least Heat Moon’s River Horse. The all canoe nature of the trip is different and of course the direction. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. I wish him the best!
Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing. (Henry David Thoreau)