Voyage of a Summer Sun, Robin Cody

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Voyage of a Summer Sun, Robin Cody
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 15:04:46 -0700
From: Richard G

I have begun my copy of this book with some anticipation. Forty years ago I sailed on a 32’ ferrocement cutter from Honolulu to Astoria with an old friend on his way back from over six years out. On that trip I was in my early thirties, still young and strong with most of life ahead of me, and had time to ponder. I decided I’d like to do three things before my time was up. One was to finish my degree, which had been forestalled as I earned money, in Psych and a Masters in Counseling. A second was to build a 22’ row boat with a convertible center cockpit to row the canals of Europe, and the third was to build a canoe and canoe the Columbia/Snake from Clarkston ID to Ilwaco.

Well, I got the degree, 1/2 the masters and spent some time working in the field as I went on to discover I had the wrong temperament for the work. I visited Europe taking many boat rides in Amsterdam and Venice where you couldn’t help boating if you tried but not on the canals per se. I also learned that some parts of the system had currents and speed issues. I didn’t row in Europe. I rented a canoe a time or three and decided after canoeing a bit of the Willamette River that I was useless as a canoe paddler much preferring a kayak with foot pedal steering. It is the latter canoe trip that I will now vicariously attempt in the form of this book by Mr. Cody.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks to whomever mentioned it as I’d not heard of the book!

I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult. (E. B. White)