Re: Yaquina

Barges. The quarries were up above Toledo, and some of them were on the opposite side of the river from the railroad, so some rock went all the way downriver by water. Cannon Quarry launch ramp is probably where a dock for a quarry used to be. There was a short railroad up Mill Creek, the creek a bit below Cannon Quarry ramp, to bring rock down to the river from another quarry. I'll bet it was an interesting, jackleg sorta railroad; the sort that'd give an OSHA inspector apoplexy today. <g> But I haven't found any photos of it yet.

Another good book about life up the Yaquina River and Big Elk Creek is:

On the Yaquina and Big Elk, by Evelyn Payne Perry

It's a collection of sketches about life in the early 20th century (and up through filming Sometimes a Great Notion) around Elk City, Salado, Glen, Harlan, Burnt Woods, Eddyville and Chitwood. The author grew up around there, and rode her horse home from college in Corvallis for vacations in the '20s. One thing I noticed from the book was that horses and wagons were used up there long after more civilized places had cars and trucks; because the roads were so bad!

I got On the Yaquina and Big Elk at the museum in Newport. Where did you get As I Remember, by Carol Armington?

On 4/26/2020 7:12 PM, Jim C wrote:
Thank you, now I know where the town was. Another question  has come up; When they ran the railroad to Newport they used it to haul rock to build the jetty. How did the track get past the waterfront to the jetty?
The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization. (Sigmund Freud)