Re: Choosing an Android Tablet for Navionics

The charger manufacturers are getting it figured out. The Anker plug-into-a-cigar-lighter one I've been using works fine with my devices, and claims to be compatible with a bunch of others, "except for the iPod nano, iPod Classic, iPod Shuffle, HP TouchPad and Asus tablets... Qualcomm Quick Charge not supported". So there's still a ways to go... Probably a moving target. <sigh>

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00VH84L5E/themotherofal-20

I'm gonna try the hardwired quick charger I found and see what happens. If it works, it'll eliminate one possible troublesome connection, and free up a cigar lighter socket. <g>

On 4/8/2020 7:38 PM, john a wrote:
For "fast charging" you will most likely need a USB-C device and look carefully for compatibility issues with your tablet.  There is significant variation in how a device implements fast charging.  To really work well the charger has to have some smarts that enable it to communicate and work with the charging components in the device/tablet. For instance, while your tablet may have a USB connection for charging, and USB power is specified at 5 volts, to push a lot of power in  (power being Volts x Amps)  you need to raise the voltage to the device being charged, and the device has to have the controls inside to handle the power conversion, and contingent on the device agreeing to that.  Thus the compatibility issues.
It started out good, but USB is no longer the UniversalSearialBus that it started out as.  Manufacturers are lousy at agreeing to "standards" and power conversion is not an area where a standard is easy.
I have not found any that match the above that are wire in type. Probably are somewhere though.
Of all tools used in the shadow of the moon, men are most apt to get out of order. (Herman Melville)