OpenCPN on Linux

johnacord

Since there has been some interest in OpenCPN, here is how my installation on Linux went.

Start here:
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpn:opencpn_user_manual
and go to
OpenCPN User Manual
Getting Started
OpenCPN Installation
Ubuntu PPA

If you have generic Ubuntu there is a graphical install.  I am using Linux Mint (Ubuntu derivative) so I have to use Terminal & command line.

Open a Terminal and enter the following commands:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:opencpn/opencpn
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install opencpn
Depending on your Linux installation you may have some extra steps compared to the above, probably to "fix" packages.

On Mint a menu group "Edcation" was created with a category OpenCPN.

From CPN menu 'Options', 'Charts', Add Directory where your chart files are located.  I am using NOAA BSB charts and once CPN knows where they are CPN finds them and ready to use.

When I first opened CPN it displayed the world map for the other side of the world so you would need to zoom out and find your area, then zoom in to see your chart areas.

The chart display quality is every bit as good as my $300 program 'Coastal Explorer', and the user interface seems to be also just as good.  Creating a route was just as same

Tides & Currents seems to be missing from the tool bar.  Next is to find out why!

More soon as I use it.

John A