Re: The Kohnen Scarfing Jig

Thanks for looking that up, Jove. I'll have to print that out and post it in the shop so I can remember. <g>

So, Randy's Kohnen Scarfing Jig is clearly a "jig". Something that, say, positions stock on a drill press table to bore evenly spaced holes is clearly, a fixture. But what about the device Randy used to cut scarfs on the table saw? It doesn't guide the tool, but it actively guides the stock into the tool. The same conundrum applies to countless table saw sleds and guides. Hmmm... How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? When in doubt, I'll just call them "gizmos". <g>

On 4/1/2020 10:40 PM, Jove wrote:
Ok..... I had to google it!
“The most basic difference, is that a *jig* is a type of tool used to hold and support the workpiece but in addition to this, A *Jig also* controls the location or motion of tool. On the other hand, a *fixture* is a support or work holding device used to hold work in place. It never guide the tool.”
I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it. (Edith Sitwell)