Re: The Kohnen Scarfing Jig

That's real neat, Randy, very clever! And thanks fpr naming it after me. <blush> ;o) That's very much the sort of thing I was thinking of, but I don't have a track saw, so I was thinking of using a fence. That'd require more attention from the operator, but could be mounted permanently to the contraption. Does anyone know if it's a "jig", or a "fixture"?

Congratulations on actually building yours, and not just thinking about it. <g>

On 3/28/2020 11:57 AM, Randt T wrote:
Back in January, John Kohnen and I were discussing scarfing jigs and I showed the jig I used on my table saw. John said “I've been thinking about a jig (or would it be a fixture? I never can keep that straight) for using a handheld circular saw, so I don't need to clean such a wide behind the tablesaw”
I have been under house arrest these last few weeks and I have not been allowed to work on the Tolman so I am working on the long neglected Puddle Duck Canoe.
I will need to scarf some parts for the gunwales so I decided to build the _Kohnen Scarfing Jig._The jig would use my track saw and be portable so I could take it to RiversWest to cut the splash rail for the Tolman.The jig cuts a 1:8 scarf for material up to 1 inch tall and 1 inch wide.Since I cut both pieces at the same time the jig opens up to 2 plus change wide.This was arbitrary since and I can change it in the future.
The design goals were to:
1.    Not hurt myself
2.    Not hurt the blade by cutting any screws.
3.    Easy to setup.
4.    Keep myself busy.
Self respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious. (H. L. Mencken)