Re: Real Computer Program to Use with Navionics

George C

Hi Mark,

Wow, it's only giving a 5 day trail? When I did the free trial 2 years ago I got a 14 days (I believe). Also, I was able to set the base default to nautical charts. It almost sounds like ExpectGPS reduced the capaciblities of the trail version.

On the purchased version which I have, I get the NOAA charts. Now, looking through the installation area, I don't see any BSB or KAP file. I just turned off my internet and tried zooming into a chart to see detail. No map was found. When I turned on my internet access, the detailed chart appeared. So I believe you are right. You need internet access to first download the areas of interest. According to ExpertGPS' website,  once the map/chart area is download to your computer you can continue to use it in the field.

The help is online too. It's not something I like either, but that's how everyone does it now.

Hope that helps,

George

On Friday, March 27, 2020, 09:24:17 AM PDT, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

Hi George,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:44 AM George C via Groups.Io <glcost2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John,

I re-read your email and feel I didn't answer it correctly. ExpertGPS comes with detailed NOAA US Coastal and Great Lakes charts. On your computer, it looks just like paper NOAA charts. You just have to set the default map to Nautical.

I, too, am having trouble with the 5-day trial version and trying to use NOAA charts.

I see in the menu where to set nautical charts as the default.

You say it comes with charts. The trial version contains no charts or maps of any type that I can see.  And from their online help page (I really, really hate programs that make me be online to get help), it seems that it will download tiles to my hard drive.  Are they saying I can't simply copy a BSB/KAP file to a directory on my hard drive?  I have to go online to get a new area??????

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mark