Re: Real Computer Program to Use with Navionics

George C

John,

On the top, horizontal menu bar is "Map". The forth item down in the Map menu is "additional base map types". In there you will find Show Nautical Chart. That sets the default base map.

George

On Thursday, March 26, 2020, 06:32:33 PM PDT, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Thanks, George. But I can't find where to set the default map. When I
look in ExpertGPS's help, all I find for "nautical chart" is an entry on
using scanned and calibrated maps, and there's nothing for "default
map". <sigh> My free trial is just about done, so I won't bother with
ExpertGPS anymore. It seems to be a good program for handling lots of
different types of maps, but not intended for us boaters.

I noticed something curious when looking at a GPX file made by
OziExplorer. I don't yet know what this stuff in the header means, but
TopoGrafix is the outfit that sells ExpertGPS!

<gpx
  xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"
  creator="OziExplorer Version 3956f - http://www.oziexplorer.com"
  version="1.1"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1
http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

https://www.topografix.com/

On 3/26/2020 10:44 AM, George C wrote:
> John,
>
> I re-read your email and feel I didn't answer it correctly. ExpertGPS
> comes with detailed NOAA US Coastal and Great Lakes charts. On your
> computer, it looks just like paper NOAA charts. You just have to set the
> default map to Nautical.
>
> If you are wanting other charts or need detailed charts for Canadian
> waters,  there are ways to load them into the program.

The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of
civilization. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)