Re: Real Computer Program to Use with Navionics

Thanks, George. But I can't find where to set the default map. When I look in ExpertGPS's help, all I find for "nautical chart" is an entry on using scanned and calibrated maps, and there's nothing for "default map". <sigh> My free trial is just about done, so I won't bother with ExpertGPS anymore. It seems to be a good program for handling lots of different types of maps, but not intended for us boaters.

I noticed something curious when looking at a GPX file made by OziExplorer. I don't yet know what this stuff in the header means, but TopoGrafix is the outfit that sells ExpertGPS!

<gpx
xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"
creator="OziExplorer Version 3956f - http://www.oziexplorer.com"
version="1.1"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

https://www.topografix.com/

On 3/26/2020 10:44 AM, George C wrote:
John,
I re-read your email and feel I didn't answer it correctly. ExpertGPS comes with detailed NOAA US Coastal and Great Lakes charts. On your computer, it looks just like paper NOAA charts. You just have to set the default map to Nautical.
If you are wanting other charts or need detailed charts for Canadian waters,  there are ways to load them into the program.
The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)