From: John Kohnen <jkohnen@...>
To: oregoncoots <oregoncoots@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Mar 21, 2020 7:01 pm
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Navionics

As you zoom in to the chart, as you would when approaching a dangerous
area, the red dots in dangerously shoal water become more apparent. See
attachment.

I don't see any dangerously shoal depths until you get right up near the
entrance to the Boat Haven. <shrug> I don't yet know what those
scattered red dots mean, but they aren't a warning...

http://www.coots.org/navstuff/DepthShading.pdf

BTW, why do you not feel comfortable unless you've got 50' of depth?
Riptide isn't a frigate, after all. ;o)

On 3/18/2020 7:23 PM, Pete L wrote:
> Interestingly, I've made the approach into the Port Townsend Boat Haven
> many times from the south, and have never run into dangerous depths
> during the approach as shown on that Navionics example.
>
> On a slightly different topic, the red dots are difficult to see and are
> not standard charting practice (at least, not the USN standards,
> anyway). We always lined off danger depths in black pen to show where
> not to go. It would be helpful to have the dangerous area shaded red,
> perhaps, or barred red. Just my opinion, though.

Science has never drummed up quite as effective a tranquilizing agent as
a sunny spring day. (W. Earl Hall)