Re: Electronics and Navigation Workshop - CANCELLED

Claire Acord

As far as on-line learning goes, if there is some participation such as the antenna discussion, you will have a solid framework of topics folks want to know about if you ever do get to do a hands on workshop.
I saw a photo of the inside of a BC longhouse with a sail draped over the rafters, so it seems that at least some post contact canoes were rigged to use the wind.  I will have to find the reference if I can.
I will just send any interesting electronic type discussions on to the puget G.IO myself, so folks don't have to remember to cc' in their messages.
stay well
Claire

Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 3:21 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
If we can't hold the Workshop May 30th, we can try to pound the
information into thick Coot skulls over the Interweb. But the Workshop
is supposed to be fun too, and that's a lot harder to do online. I hope
that by the end of May we can safely have a fun Coot get-together in
Toledo, do some boating, and learn about proper radio usage, coastal
navigation in the era of the smart phone, and how to use cheap and free
nav programs on mobile devices.

We've already been having some discussion on antennae, and such here. We
can warm up for the Workshop by discussing some of the things we'll be
covering in the Workshop here too. But it won't be a substitute for the
Real Thing. Unless it has to be... <sigh>

BTW, John McC's canoe-building associate at the Grande Ronde res, Brian,
is very interested in coming to the Workshop, to learn some things to
make the annual tribal canoe journeys, and other canoeing outings,
safer. John said Brian wondered if he might be able to tell some stories
about his canoe adventures. I'm sure we can fit that in somehow. :o)

Brian is one of the more adventuresome of the canoe people at Grande
Ronde, and has been experimenting with using a sail. I've attached a
couple of shots of Brian in John's latest design, derived from a sketch
made by a White explorer on the bank of the Columbia long, long ago.
Isn't it just the purtiest little thing! :o)

Take care of yourselves, and wash your hands.

On 3/14/2020 10:45 AM, Claire wrote:
> Hey Coots,
> since it looks like staying home is a good way to stay healthy, and
> since we all have computer access (or we wouldn't be here) what about
> taking the electronics workshop on-line?  Would the pre-enlisted experts
> be willing to try it that way?  Would folks with questions be willing to
> post them on the forum?  I hope the answer is yes, and I hope that all
> workshop 'traffic' will be cc'ed to the TSCA-Puget forum as well, we all
> want to learn.
> cheers

The latter part of a wise man's life is taken up in curing the follies,
prejudices, and false opinions he had contracted in the former.
(Jonathan Swift)