Re: Maritime magazine and Museum Messabout

Claire Acord

Brandon
Sounds like a dream job!  Good for you.
The Blithe Spirit, the yacht Monk designed for Jim Spilsbury is still in his family and berthed in Maple Bay, here is part of the story.
His granddaughter is a pal of mine, and lives here on Whidbey, if you like I can give her your contact information and see if she might have time to talk about her grandfather and his boat with you, he was a very interesting man.
best
Claire
Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 5:09 PM Brandon via Groups.Io <brandonfordus=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm excited to be able to join you all for the Museum Messabout. Since it falls on the day after my birthday I was able to talk Virginia into coming with me. Good times!

It looks like I might land a gig as editor for Puget Sound Maritime's Sea Chest magazine. It's been around since the 1960s as the organ for the Puget Sound Maritime Historical Society. I've been hanging out with some board members and saw the behind-the-scenes collection last week. Lots of cool stuff! They (we, I guess) have a full-time director with a masters in museum science, so the collection is well maintained and cataloged. Some of it is on display on the 4th floor of the new Museum of History and Industry (MOHI) next to the Center for Wooden Boats on Lake Union. Of course it's just the tip of the iceberg.

One of the coolest things we have is the entire collection of the designs and drawings of Ed Monk. A great deal of his work was commercial steel boats, but his pleasure boat designs are beautiful. I hope I can be instrumental in getting some public access to some of his beautiful designs. A retired marine architect is digitizing the designs, so maybe we could get some of them on the web like John did for Atkin's designs. If you guys know about Monk-designed boats still around or good Monk stories, please let me know. I'm running an article about him in Sea Chest.

Also: one of the PSM board members is trying to locate some small boats to buy for a restaurant remodel. He needs them to be between 8 and 12 feet or so, cute enough to hang from the ceiling -- preferably lapstrake but fiberglass that looks like wood will work. He doesn't need them to be seaworthy, they just need to paint up nice, so leaky is OK. He's willing to pay money -- like up to $300 or 400 depending. If you have something you think might work, send me a pic and I'll forward it on to him.

Aloha,
Brandon
SV Oceanus, 1971 Columbia 43 lying Olympia, Wash.