Re: Maritime magazine and Museum Messabout

I'm excited too that you're goinna be joining us in Astoria, Brandon. :o) Even if Virginia doesn't want to do the Museum tour she might enjoy the lunch beforehand. There will be other womenfolk there, including Mary.

Congrats on the new job. It sounds like it'll be an interesting one. The elder Edwin Monk really made his mark in NW boating. Most people think of his yachts when they hear his name, but he also had a great eye for designing small boats. His skiffs were particularly nice, I think, and the skiff designs published in How to Build Wooden Boats (a bargain in the Dover reprint) inspired recent designers like Ken Swan and Warren Jordan:

http://www.coots.org/BoatPlans/Monk-9-ft-dinghy.pdf

Last Saturday at the Multnomah Library I discovered a series Ed Monk started in Pacific Motorboating in 1934 featuring a small boat design in each issue. Alas, usually without all the info needed to build the boats. I did scan this one, which looks like a it'd be a good-looking and practical little boat:

http://www.coots.org/BoatPlans/Monk-9-ft-dinghy.pdf

I suppose I should go back the the Megalopolis by myself sometime and scan the whole series without the Coot BSing distraction. <g> Good stuff even without the info to build the boats. The full plans for all the boats in the series may be in Puget Sound Maritime's collection. It'd be nice to have some of the small boat designs made available for a reasonable price.

I was quite taken with this Monk sailboat (see attachment) I saw during the Port Townsend Festival sail-by. It just looks like a Good Boat, and I liked the sensible finish. Of course the young crewman made an impression too. <g> Blossom lives in the Point Hudson marina.

On 2/20/2020 5:08 PM, Brandon F wrote:
I'm excited to be able to join you all for the Museum Messabout. Since it falls on the day after my birthday I was able to talk Virginia into coming with me. Good times!
It looks like I might land a gig as editor for Puget Sound Maritime's Sea Chest magazine.
One of the coolest things we have is the entire collection of the designs and drawings of Ed Monk. A great deal of his work was commercial steel boats, but his pleasure boat designs are beautiful. I hope I can be instrumental in getting some public access to some of his beautiful designs. A retired marine architect is digitizing the designs, so maybe we could get some of them on the web like John did for Atkin's designs. If you guys know about Monk-designed boats still around or good Monk stories, please let me know. I'm running an article about him in Sea Chest.
Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.