Re: Good Shiphandling

cherrill boissonou

I had to laugh at my own docking experiences with dr. Petra!....Earl

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:48 AM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

I think these videos show some pretty darn good shiphandling, docking a passenger ship downwind in a gale. They dropped anchor and then either payed the cable out or let the anchor drag to slow the downwind drift, using the main engines (and maybe stern thruster?) to keep the ship parallel to the pier. Good job!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxx7xz9b

or

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/video-high-winds-blow-hurtigruten-cruise-ship-against-pier

A fine time of year to take a cruise to northern Norway. <g>

Nearly all of our disasters come from a few fools having the courage of their convictions. (Coventry Patmore)