Re: Coots Electronics Workshop, March 21st

Richard Green

Does that CPN seem to suggest a laptop will have a GPS potential within it? I don’t think my laptop, Mac Air Pro, has GPS within.

As regards cylinders, I tell folks I’m as good as I’ll ever be again and pretty sure that’s accurate. Of course, I also tell the younger ladies, “Hi, I’m Rich”. Hasn’t worked so far but a guy can hold out hope…..

Rich

On Jan 26, 2020, at 2:15 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

Only hitting on four cylinders. What's going on with the other two -- ignition? valves? ;o) I hope your mechanics get you back on the road soon.

Technology has moved on a ways from small handheld GPSes. The workshop will mostly be about navigating using cell phones or tablets, but bring your wee GPS over and we'll try to teach you how to put waypoints into it. Hint: It's much easier to use a nav program on your home computer to plan your voyage and set your waypoints, then load them into the GPS. OpenCPN is a free one, and it's got easier to use:

https://opencpn.org/

The version for mobile devices will be one of the nav programs I'll be talking about in my portion of the proceedings. Maybe I should cover the PC version too, since it's always easier to plan voyages on a "real" computer.

The other program I'll talk about is the mobile device version of Navionics:

https://www.navionics.com/

Six cylinders? I thought you were a straight eight, Rich. ;o)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1947-buick-super/

On 1/26/2020 1:22 PM, Rich G wrote:
Sent an email to a guy on here in which I suggested I’m operating on all cylinders now what with repairs and new parts off the shelf but in retrospect I’m really only operating on four of six cylinders. Still, enough to get me around town, so to speak.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. (Robert A. Heinlein)