Re: Glue, caulk, Strip Planking on small craft, Some Observations

Richard Green

When I finished Jaunty I used standard (?) ablative bottom paint to the water line.  Above the water line I used Rodda 100% acrylic house paint over similar primer.  Worked like a champ, easy to do small repairs as scuffs, etc, easy to keep clean.  I put it on with a typical 1/2” house roller and all in all was very happy with it.  Worked like a charm.

Rich

On Jan 13, 2020, at 10:05 AM, Julius Dalzell <jndalzell@...> wrote:

Work with Brightside frequently. VOC’s are intolerable for me. Fully masked for the moment the can is opened!
However I have noted that the VOC loadings have substantially lessened over the past year ort so.
Th manufactures are well aware of the negatives and constantly work on chemistries to achieve improvements.
Julius

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Electri-Cal
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 8:03 AM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Glue, caulk, Strip Planking on small craft, Some Observations

You can add me to the list you put up.  No bad acting stuff there, maybe black hands if some PL gets loose, but don't build in good clothes anyhow, that's what the old shop clothes are for.  System 3 is a bit spendy, but there are others that do as well, any good paint dept. can advise on that.  Waterborne epoxy is great stuff, I find that a couple clear coats over lightly sanded main finish makes maintenance a no brainer.  Dock or brush scrapes get a light sand and touch up without having a color coat to touch up, the whole finish stays brighter and UV protected as well.

Lter Coots,   Cal

PS, --- Second new hip is sweet, spring will be a ton better this year.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 9:37 PM Randy Torgerson <coots@...> wrote:

RiversWest put on the family boat build at the Portland Wooden Boat Festival every year and we have the families use Loctite PL Premium to glue up the boats.  The design is the Salt Bay Skiff. The stuff is easy to work with, will turn your skin black and dries rock hard. I tell the families that I am coaching to use gloves, clean up the excess and don't get the stuff on your clothes as it won't come out.

I prefer working with epoxy over polyurethane in all its foams.  What I really want is a waterbased epoxy. Most of the paints that I use now, including marine paint, is water based.  I painted my little Chris Craft pram using Brightsides and I hated working with all the solvents. Fish Taco, my Candle Fish 13, was painted with System Three WR LPU, a water based polyurethane catalyzed paint which I found easy to use.

Randy

--
Thanks, I will reply to all mail as possible ---  Cal

<B3DEF9492CEF4CED930991D950FC98C7.png><3799CA652C1744338E9CD1179ED98FF0.png>