Re: Borden's Glue

Andrew Linn

The biggest expense of Skin-on-Frame is getting sticks long enough. Knots are bad, but if you take the time to fine clear sections of wood (or get good at scarfing,) you'll be fine. SoF is the cheapest, fastest way to build a light, beautiful, boat.

I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

On 1/11/2020 7:14 AM, Randy Torgerson wrote:
John,

I have done some back of napkin calculations for building Katydidn’t in strip plank, cold molded and skin-on-frame.  Strip plank would be easiest to build and the cheapest as I have everything I need to build one except 4oz glass; I have 6, 10 and 17 ounce glass in abundance; I have plenty of WRC to make strips and I know some boatbuilders who have left over strips.  10 years ago I gave away enough strips to build an 18 foot canoe so I think Karma will smile upon me. The cold molded would be second most difficult and the second most expensive as I need to get the glass and flitches. The skin-on-frame would be the most expensive and most difficult as I have not done a skin-on-frame boat build before and I have experience building strip and cold molded boats.

Weight wise the skin-on-frame would be the lightest at 25 to 30lbs, the strip plake at 30 to 40lbs and the cold molded the heaviest at 40 to 50lbs.

I have been re-reading John Guzzwell, Ian Nicholson and Hub Miller’s boatbuilding books and I think the forms for the cold molded boat would not be that much more difficult than the other construction methods.

Maybe I will have to build all three but I think that skin-on-frame would be first.  I just need to get the canoe out of the garage and find green or air dried Oak for the frames.

Randy

,_