Re: Borden's Glue

Randy Torgerson

John,

I have done some back of napkin calculations for building Katydidn’t in strip plank, cold molded and skin-on-frame.  Strip plank would be easiest to build and the cheapest as I have everything I need to build one except 4oz glass; I have 6, 10 and 17 ounce glass in abundance; I have plenty of WRC to make strips and I know some boatbuilders who have left over strips.  10 years ago I gave away enough strips to build an 18 foot canoe so I think Karma will smile upon me. The cold molded would be second most difficult and the second most expensive as I need to get the glass and flitches. The skin-on-frame would be the most expensive and most difficult as I have not done a skin-on-frame boat build before and I have experience building strip and cold molded boats.

Weight wise the skin-on-frame would be the lightest at 25 to 30lbs, the strip plake at 30 to 40lbs and the cold molded the heaviest at 40 to 50lbs.

I have been re-reading John Guzzwell, Ian Nicholson and Hub Miller’s boatbuilding books and I think the forms for the cold molded boat would not be that much more difficult than the other construction methods.

Maybe I will have to build all three but I think that skin-on-frame would be first.  I just need to get the canoe out of the garage and find green or air dried Oak for the frames.

Randy