Re: Coot Calendars -- Order Now!

I meant "hid" the lighthouse. Behind the trees. <g> It's said to be one of the most photographed lighthouses in the World.

http://www.boat-links.com/images/bikes/norton1.jpg

Although no sailor would want to get near Heceta Head (hence the lighthouse <g>), "Devil's Elbow" is probably just the product of the same fertile imagination that gave us "Devil's Punchbowl" and "Devil's Churn", also on the central Oregon Coast. "Devils Lake" might be taken from Indian legends of lake monsters. The Devil was busy on the Oregon Coast. <g>

The Oregon Coast is a dangerous place. It's best to stay well offshore. A Fairey Atalanta blew into (well, was towed into) Florence maybe 15 years ago. Two guys had refurbished the boat in South Beach and had set off to explore the Orinoco River. They didn't stay well offshore, and almost got caught on the north side of Heceta Head, with the northwesterly wind and southward-running current pushing them towards destruction on the rocks! They got clear, but when they got near the Siuslaw River they decided they needed a rest. Their engine (a Coventry Victor flat twin, I lusted after it <g>) wouldn't start so the CG brought them in. The Atalanta sat at the dock in Florence for quite a while, but was eventually sold to somebody and disappeared. I'd kinda lusted for it, but it was a little too big for me. The guys never got near the Orinoco, though one of them did buy another sailboat. But that's a disaster story for another day...

When I was in junior high my dad and I went for a drive to the coast, where we spotted a small troller that had come ashore on a tiny bit of sand beach in Cooks Chasm. I scrambled down for a closer look. The boat seemed to have only one or two planks stove in, after going through a bunch of rocks into a tight notch in the basalt mainland! But I wondered how they'd ever get it out of there if they patched it up. They probably never did.

On 12/8/2019 7:46 PM, Claire wrote:
Why _Devil's_ elbow John?  Bad shore setting currents?  Hidden rocks? Shipwrecks?  Or just the normal Oregon coast all three <g>
cheers
--
John (@Jkohnen)
The man who would be fully employed should procure a ship or a woman, for no two things produce more trouble. (Plautus)