Re: Coots' Annual Yaquina River Halloween Float, October 26th

John Purdy

David, I agree with the notion of stepping away before one gets too deep into a project that will ultimately be a poor compromise.  Thanks for your comment. Right now I'm just having fun experimenting to see what minor improvements can be made without a big investment in a toy that was obtained for $00.00.  You bring up a good point that getting in and out at a beach would be difficult with the keel 2.0 plan.  Hadn't thought of that.  No don't have much experience with kayaks, Most of my time on the water for the past 40 years has been in production sailcraft, ie Hobie cat, Windsurfer, Santana 20, J24, Laser, West Wight Potter,  I may try a keel 1.5 design where the keel is extended/deepened on just the back half of the kayak.  Making more of a rear skeg than a full keel.

Never thought of the option of a leeboard, though am familiar with the concept.  Seems like a leeboard would be best used with a rudder and a sail.  Not ready to go down that path. I also have a 16' Klickatat canoe that also was obtained for not much money but could use some restoration. I'd consider making that into a sailing canoe.

John Purdy