Re: Coots' Annual Yaquina River Halloween Float, October 26th

Case Turner

I have to agree with Thorne on this. White water Kayaks aren't very good at flat water paddling, even with modifications. Tracking and speed aren't what they are made for. You definitely are going to work harder to achieve speed and direction. Two important things when paddling long distances.

Along the lines of paddles, my favorite to use when kayaking, and even sometimes in my solo-canoe is my cedar greenland style paddle. It's extremely efficient and light weight.

I'd be tempted to find our build a kayak that is specifically for touring or adventuring, (if that's what you want to do). A good cheap easy to build option would be Dave Gentry's 12' Chuckanut.

I have built the 12' & the 15'. Both paddle fine, but the 12' is easier to manuever, especially in tight spaces. Both are light weight and can be easily car topped.

Case

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:08 AM David Luckhardt <david.luckhardt@...> wrote:

At some point you may need to step away from the conversion project and look for something more suitable, as it strikes me that you're getting deep into SOW'S EAR --> SILK PURSE territory.  Been there and have the T-shirt collection!   ;-)

Getting in and out of the yak with Keel #2 might be next to impossible unless at the dock, and I can see how launching in shallow water could also be a challenge.   Do you have experience with other kayaks?  Some of the tracking issues might be paddling style more than hull design, just sayin'...   Have you tried a longer double paddle, or one that can be offset 90 degrees?

If you must modify the boat I'd be tempted to go for the tried and true option of a leeboard.  Easy to rig and remove, and can be pulled up to allow entry & exit in shallows.  Lots of ways to attach leeboards, check out the Interwebs images for sailing rigs for yaks and canoes.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/16/c3/78/16c37817a57f55f06c6bbbd62f55c559.jpg

--
Dirt