Re: Coots' Annual Yaquina River Halloween Float, October 26th

David Luckhardt

At some point you may need to step away from the conversion project and look for something more suitable, as it strikes me that you're getting deep into SOW'S EAR --> SILK PURSE territory.  Been there and have the T-shirt collection!   ;-)

Getting in and out of the yak with Keel #2 might be next to impossible unless at the dock, and I can see how launching in shallow water could also be a challenge.   Do you have experience with other kayaks?  Some of the tracking issues might be paddling style more than hull design, just sayin'...   Have you tried a longer double paddle, or one that can be offset 90 degrees?

If you must modify the boat I'd be tempted to go for the tried and true option of a leeboard.  Easy to rig and remove, and can be pulled up to allow entry & exit in shallows.  Lots of ways to attach leeboards, check out the Interwebs images for sailing rigs for yaks and canoes.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/16/c3/78/16c37817a57f55f06c6bbbd62f55c559.jpg