Re: New Build Decison: SUP vs. 'Yak

Case Turner

I have found that kayaks are more versatile and can be a better option if you get caught in a squall or inclimate weather.

Also the hull speed of a kayak is greater so you can cover more ground. Especially in windy conditions. On a SUP your body is a big sail all the time which can make paddling into ahead wind or cross wind tricky.

Case

Sent from not here

On Aug 27, 2019, at 9:28 AM, David Graybeal via Groups.Io <harbordavid@...> wrote:

I am looking for opinions. Any and all. Informed or theoretical (it helps if you specify which you're offering).

Why? Because I'm starting to fantasize about a boatlike object I can keep on top of my truck all summer, with a paddle in the wayback, and have handy for impromptu (like I have a free hour after work, or couple of hours in the middle of the day while something dries) time on the water. The Harbor Woodworks shop is not far from the Columbia River 42nd Av. ramp. Even closer is the slough that runs thru North & NE Portland. My oldest son and two grandkids live not far from the Willamette River Selwood Park river access. I visit them often, and the 2 year old is turning into a Waterboy... so would like to start taking him out.

The two primary contenders are a SUP and an Open Cockpit Kayak.

As far as a SUP goes... probably a Storer "T'aal" -- https://www.storerboatplans.com/boatplans/taal-touring-sup-a-new-design-for-a-stand-up-paddle-board/

For an open kayak, probably the Dave Gentry "Chuckanut 15" -- http://gentrycustomboats.com/C15page.html

Thoughts??

--