Re: Pond at Wooden Boat Show

Andrew Linn

Dang it. I apologize to everyone. The pond would be pretty cool.

See you all on Friday.

On 8/14/2019 2:26 PM, Joe Novello wrote:
Hi Guys,

The wooden boat show met today to finalize all the plans around the boat show.  When it came time to talk about the pond, there was an extensive discussion.  There was a lot of concern about the monitoring and safety of the pond. The committee was not confident about there being adequate monitoring including a schedule of who watches when and how it would be monitored other than just people being there throughout the show.

Additional concerns were brought up about the lack of water in Toledo and the amount of space the pond would take up, eliminating parking for the masses they are expecting for the headliner music shows this year and all the campers.

The consensus of the committee was that with better advanced planning, it may be an option next year, but not this year.

So, for this year there will be an area set aside between the pump out station and the next finger on the transient dock.  Tom Murphy will be doing his kayak demonstrations there and the rest of the time will be reserved for model boat sailing.  This is the area the Retired Old Guys Sailing Club use for sailing their DF-65s throughout the winter.  It is plenty well protected and a person can access the rest of the slough for more open water if they so choose.  The retired guys sail mostly in the upper slough near the observation pier.  We've sailed our boats in winds up to 20 mph without any problems.  There will also be a chase boat out on the water most of the time in case anybody's boat runs astray.

I'm copying the DF-65 fleet owners so they too can join in the fun. It is too late now, but we might want to schedule specific times for model boat regattas during the show, either racing or just sailing and motoring around all at the same time.

We are looking forward to a great weekend and hope those of you who have models ready to go can bring them along and join in the fun.

Joe Novello