Re: Salish 100 Report

David Luckhardt

I haven't written anything up, mostly because I'm too lazy to do the work, but also because John and Dan's reports seem to cover most of the events.

It was quite an experience turning a big daysailor into a camp-cruising boat, but I managed to get most of the gear right after a few tries.   Very glad that I took Goblin out a week before the event on a 3-day shakedown cruise with the TSCA out in the Delta, as that helped expose a few things I hadn't planned for or thought out well enough.  I packed too much gear, of course, but if the weather had been more cold and wet I'd have used a lot of it.  Like John I also have a Intex raft to give away, as during the shakedown cruise I learned that soft inflatables with no floor are nearly impossible to get in and out of, much less paddle or row any distance. The folding small pram dinghies are looking better and better, so I may consider building one.

My 2007 Yamaha 2.5 4-stroke lasted until the very last moment at the loading ramp, where I think two and a half days of use finally caught up with the impeller -- we'll see when I get it fixed.  I learned that these little outboards should have a keeper for the gas cap, as mine ended up at the bottom of Covlo Passage near Southworth, and that a beer can bottom and duct tape can make a decent replacement.  ;-)

I used a combination of expired Navionics (which still had most functions other than speed over ground) and Embark (not as good and nearly as expensive), both on my iPhone which was charged by three different battery packs -- one which was several years old and despite being kept charged and used frequently seems to have died on the trip.   Dan and Bo kindly took me on a side trip to West Marine in Olympia where I dropped nearly $60 on a 30 amp to 110 adapter -- absolutely required to get shore power on marina docks.  The 20 amp adapter I had purchased was useless...

  We were very lucky in that all the places we stopped had some sort of restroom facilities available on shore, even if these were not officially for boaters and barely sufficient for a large invasion fleet.   But I did test the Reliance Products Fold-to-Go Collapsible Portable Toilet, and other than the nearly-impossible-to-release leg latches it worked just fine.  The boom tent made from the OneTigris Bulwark All-Season Tarp, Waterproof Tent Shelter, Ripstop Outdoor Camping Tarp 13ft by 10ft worked well even though the few cloudbursts we had on the last night in Mats Mats Bay didn't really test it for extended rains.  I used tent poles from a thriftstore tent as hoops, socketing the ends in 6" sections of PVC pipe plugged with wine corks and PL Premium.  The hoop sockets were double-tied --- once to the boom tent tiedowns, and another line to the open gunwales which could be adjusted to keep the ends further out from the gunwales.

Essential gear included tall rubber boots, a scrub brush on a stick for cleaning these and the anchor, dry bags for everything (including a huge one for the bedding), extra gas cans filled with Ethanol-free fuel at the marinas, tools / hardware / seine twine, and lots and lots of beer for bribes. Dry ice under regular bags of ice helped extend the ice chest's range.  The cheap canvas tool pouches lashed to the open gunwales were really handy and got a lot of use -- CLC Custom Leathercraft C14 Canvas Waist Apron, 12 Pocket.

Things for the next long cruise:  An ice chest that can be knelt and stood on.  Smaller hard storage boxes, as soft storage isn't great for things like bread and corn chips.  Functional dinghy!  Magnetic mount for iPhone at both seating positions for sailing.  Better ends for the boom tent, possibly with velcro along the edges.   Sailing boots as the stock hunting boots don't grip the floorboards well enough, even when the floorboards have been freshly coated with textured varnish.