Re: Dirt's 8-Foot Boat

Case Turner

So one thing I’ve noticed, both with the new group and yahoo, is if people don’t end a conversation that they’ve posted, with a name, on my IPhone, I don’t know who it is.

The other issue is if you attach photos they show up I. The first post, but if someone replies they are gone and I cannot see them. Not a problem if I’m on a computer, which I rarely am.

One would think this wouldn’t be a problem.

Ughhhhh

Wish I could see all these great plans.

I cannot.

Case, starting to think I should revert back to Dirt:

Sent from not here

On Dec 1, 2018, at 6:23 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

That's the very same boat. From the low-res scan given on that page I think I can see that Ed Monk's contribution was better details of, and a change to, the construction sequence, and the sailing rig. I found out where I got the earlier plan:

https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/24078

"Technical drawings and instructions for a 7' 9" Pram Dinghy Plan 24 designed by C. [Charles] P. & E. D. Burgess for the Hagerty Company. Includes plans and specifications with a material list and complete instructions for building. Published by Douglas Fir Plywood Association, Tacoma, Washington." June 15, 1940

There are a few interesting and useful comments there.

If I were to build the Burgess pram I'd put the chines on the outside. Other than the rolling bevel at the chines it's a pretty simple build. A curious thing about the construction is that the shape is defined by the transoms and two molds near the ends -- there is no mold near the center of the boat! Apparently the bottom plywood just takes whatever flattish shape it wants when it's nailed on. It'd be nice to have the bevels for the transoms ahead of assembly time, then it could go together in "Instant Boat" fashion, with no cutting and fitting to get the transoms to fit.

The Douglas Fir Plywood Association (DFPA) renamed itself to the American Plywood Association (APA) in 1964. If you go looking for the APA plans for the dinghy it'll be the Monk revised version with better details. Probably the "newest" DFPA plans are too...

On 11/30/2018 4:25 PM, Mark N wrote:
Might this be a slightly revised version?
http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/Dinghy.html
http://www.boat-links.com/images/Burgess-1.jpeg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/Burgess.jpeg
--
John (@Jkohnen)
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. (Clarence Darrow)

--
Dirt