Re: More on any Library Offer - DO check out !!

Hank

Maybe a better question is why have a Coots library if no one wants to read the books?  I have not tried to contact the librarian to order a book so do not know if it works or not.    No one has ever contacted me about getting one of the books I am holding so have to wonder how important they are.

As far as a distributed system goes, most any book is available from the inter library loan system for only a couple bucks.  If reading a book is not worth that much, it can not be very important.

Hank

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:47 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."*
Books too. If one gets too caught up in safety and security then nobody
will ever be able to read the books. <g>

How can the Coots' Library remain dispersed, but work? We haven't ever
figured that out.

* https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/12/09/safe-harbor/

On 9/26/2018 10:07 AM, Myles T wrote:
> But beyond all that, there is a very important thing to consider as part
> of the broad category of “security”.  So far folks have mainly just
> touched on security in terms of whether the resource is protected from
> theft or donation.  Humidity was also mentioned and I also mentioned my
> concern about the OMM’s maritime collection being housed in a downtown
> underground bank vault that could flood.
>
> But here’s another security concern to take very seriously: fire.
> Virtually any place can burn down I suppose and formal libraries are not
> immune---the recent fire at the Brazilian national library is just one
> example.  Dock fires are not uncommon, and I would guess the risk goes
> up with permanently moored boats and a workshop at the docks.  Homes can
> burn (my cousin lost his in Redding this summer) also.  Bottom line is
> that putting all your nuts (or books) in one basket (bookcase) at one
> location carries a risk that needs to be appreciated.  I hear the agony
> in reading about single items having disappeared.  Imagine if the entire
> collection burned, molded or sank to the bottom of the river.
>
> Which brings me again to the benefit of keeping this collection
> dispersed.  Yes, items and even an entire box could disappear or get
> donated to St. Vinnies---but that pales in severity compared to losing
> the entire collection in one event.

John (jkohnen@...)
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
(Isaac Asimov)